I absolutely hate concocting an idea in my head and watching as it fails in front of you. However, in this particular instance, we do not have a failure on our hands. Instead, we have genius! From a previous flop of an experiment, I was left with a bulliten board that left much to the imagination. It just was not good. So to cover up the horrendus amount of flailing glitter I had on my hands, I decided to turn to my favorite friend, the stripe.
So here’s what I started with.
What I wanted to do was make panels.
So I started with a couple rulers, a cutting board, some cardboard, cut from a shoe box or any kind of box, (but it is very important alll of the cardboard you use is the same thickness. Otherwise it will look funny), and then also very important, a VERY sharp exacto knife.
VERY SHARP. Scissors wont work. Even with this it wont be perfect, but its handmade and this is the best I could do without breaking out my dad’s electric sawing equipment.
So using fabric glue and 2 kinds of yellow fabric, which was actually all I could find but it ended up being nice and bright and cheery, I fastened the fabric onto cardboard panels in a fashion that resembled stretching fabric over a seat cushion. I recommend heavy weights to keep it staying down while the glue dries. It can be a little messy.
Here’s the back of it.
And then the fronts.
One other trick to go along with that, make sure you press the fabric down smoothly. Sometimes there are fold creases, all you have to do is smooth it out first. And smear your glue around before you put the fabric down. Otherwise you’ll see those glue lines on the front and it will probably be even more messy than it already is because the glue will seep through.
Before you begin assembling the panels to the corkboard, you’re going to want to paint the trim.
I went with an acrylic paint called Basics. I also went with a bright magenta to really contrast the yellow and kind of give it a country look.
So, when you begin to assemble it should look something like this. It might not alllll fit perfectly, but I promise, it will all come together nicely.
The next thing to do is glue all of the pieces down.
I used something like Hard as Nails glue. You want something strong and sturdy so that it will hold the pieces down well.
You can see I used those paint jars as weights. They didn’t work the greatest but luckily most of my pieces fit together well. If they dont, it is cardboard, so you can kind of squeeze it into place until the glue dries. I had to do that for one of mine.
But it is worth it.
When its all finished, add your pictures and some extra cute **button push pins** , its a huge improvement.